Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Seeking for the keepers in life

Celebrating the milestone of my 46th birthday this past week has led me to reflect on what is truly important in life.

I have a lot to be thankful for: a successful career, a beautiful wife and two wonderful daughters who amaze me every day. I am fortunate to be living in Seattle, one of the great cities of America and indeed the world.

For most of my life I have defined myself in terms of my professional accomplishments and goals, and in terms of my beliefs, what I am for and against at any given time. All of those have changed somewhat over the years, so I have been thinking about what has been constant and enduring about my life so far and going forward.

One constant has been that I am a voracious scanner of news and information. I am always wanting to know what is going on in the world and what is the next thing I need to be aware of. I also enjoy reading "idea" books that raise important issues and propose big new ways of thinking about the world.

At the same time, I "keep" very little of what I read in the sense that only a fraction of it do I feel compelled to act on. While I have been blogging for five years, I am not a journalist and do not have the time or energy to write about everything I read or have an opinion about. I try to write only when I have personal insight that can add something new.

It's like walking on a beach. So many pretty shells and rocks, but only one out a thousand really speaks to you and says "pick me up". Those are the "keepers". The others you leave alone and walk on.

There are keepers and leave-behinds in everything. In ideas, books, movies, music, games, travel, and even people. The leave-behinds you let go. The keepers you hold onto as tight as you can.

This new blog will be about separating the keepers from the leave-behinds. I hope you will find some keepers here as I put my energy into it in the years to come.

Chris Struble
SeekerKeeper

No comments: