Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Revenge of the belt clip

One of the most frustrating things about owning an iPod has been trying to find a way to carry it around and use it.

I like to keep my iPod Video on my belt, but after going through three belt clips in the past year, I have reached the conclusion that iPod-specific accessories just plain suck. There are no well-made, durable see-through cases that keep an iPod safe and secure on your hip and also allow you to access it and select music.

The latest disappointment is the Incase leather sleeve. The metal clip itself is strong and well-made, but the leather that the clip attaches to is weak and poorly made. After three months, the leather backing ripped open, making the case useless.

Meanwhile the Nite Ize belt case I use for my cell phone has lasted for years. Unfortunately it uses a magnet to close the case which could damage the iPod hard drive.

Update: I found this Nite Ize sport case at the REI in Issaquah and am hopeful that it will last. It is by the same company that makes my cell phone case, is a little larger, and has velcro instead of a magnet. If it lasts a year it will have been well worth it.

No comments: