Sunday, January 4, 2009

Fun revisited

Yesterday LeAnne and I watched Stargate: Continuum, the DVD movie based on the Stargate SG-1 TV series. We enjoyed SG-1 a lot, and own the first 8 seasons on DVD, so when I got it for Christmas I was excited. I haven't watched SG-1 in months, it was nice to step back into that world for a while. Continuum uses plot elements common in the SG-1 series, including time travel and over-the-top bad guys. The extras on the DVD were also fun, including a trip to the Arctic for filming.

Continuum is a treat for SG-1 fans, but might not be as enjoyable for a generic sci-fi fan who hasn't seen SG-1. I would steer those folks towards Serenity, a 2005 sci-fi film based on the Firefly TV series. I thought that Serenity stood pretty well on its own and didn't require one to have seen the Firefly series to enjoy the movie.

It's amazing to me sometimes that I enjoy the Stargate series at all. If there really were a secret government project that kept the people of the world in the dark about a global threat to humanity and committed us to secret alliances and secret wars, that would be quite outrageous. Oh, wait...

But I suppose that is part of the point, the characters of Stargate SG-1 find their situation absurd and outrageous too, part of them understands that everything will be revealed eventually, and it is only their sense of humanity and mission and adventure that keeps them going. Stargate Atlantis never gave me quite the same feeling, so I never became quite as attached to it. Yet, for me, Stargate SG-1 is a keeper and I am glad to have enjoyed it these past ten years.

No comments: