Monday, June 1, 2009

Recovery Acts includes I-405 improvements

This morning I read through a report called 100 Days 100 Projects posted by the White House last week detailing some of the projects funded by the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act.

I found this one especially interesting.
78. Construction started at the end of March on an important highway project in Bellevue, Washington. Supported partially by $30 million in Recovery Act funding, this project will construct new multi-level “braided” ramps to separate vehicles entering and exiting northbound I-405 between NE 8th Street and SR 520 in Bellevue. The new improvements will improve safety and reduce congestion on I-405 in an area that experiences up to eight hours of traffic congestion a day.

I've driven that stretch of I-405 N many times, and this improvement is long overdue. The current "interweave" design cannot handle even moderate traffic flows. The new design should solve that problem. WSDOT has details on the project here.

No comments: